Wine is good. Wine is great. Actually let’s face it- wine is my favorite.
And this- Is a DARN GOOD Sangria. Beware- it’s sweet! If you don’t like peach and you don’t like sweet alcohol, this recipe likely isn’t for you.
I know, I know, peach is generally considered a “summer fruit” but I think it is PERFECT for all seasons- particularly Fall! I mean, a peach is colored JUST like a beautiful Autumn day.
About 3 days ago I discovered that our neighbor has a peach tree! (Someone tell me how I never noticed this last year? This is our second Autumn season in this house so…. I don’t know how I missed that one!)
I was letting our pups out in the afternoon and heard a thud much like a walnut hitting the ground after making it’s way from the highest branch on the tallest tree… Captain, our 4 and a half year old Jack Russel, noticed it too and he went BONKERS. Barking and howling like he was telling the tree to buzz off and leave us alone… I promise I wasn’t in any danger, he’s just so rambunctious. Anyway, I walked over and discovered that there were small, slightly-larger-than-golf-ball sized peaches falling off this tree left and right… and a few of the limbs were hanging over our side of the fence!!! Guess who had been reaping the “literal” fruits of labor from our neighbor? Yep, you guessed it- Captain. I would assume Bucky, our now- 11 year old Rat Terrier, was snacking on them too, but he’s nowhere near the little piggy that Captain is. It was actually quite cute- half eaten peaches left and right, you could absolutely tell they had been snacking. (No pits were consumed and no doggos have gotten sick).
All this got me thinking that I wanted to eat some peaches…. or rather, drink them! I don’t care much for the actual fruit itself, but put that flavor into a margarita or wine and I’M SOLD! I had a few bottles of some Sweet Peach wine I had scored over the summer and decided to turn it into a Sangria because YES PLEASE! I added in my favorite, liquor (Amaretto) and just created this delectable concoction from there! It’s so yummy, guys you’ve got to try it!
What you will need:
- Bottle of Peach Wine (I got mine from Aldi)
- Small bottle (187 ml) of Pinot Grigio
- Amaretto (I like Paramount- sometimes cheaper IS better!)
- Ginger Ale
Autumn Peach Sangria
- 2 Jumbo Peaches One for garnish, one for adding to the drink
- 2/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2/3 cup Water
- 1 Bottle Peach Wine
- 1/2 cup Pinot Grigio
- 1/2 cup Amaretto
- 1/2 - 1 cup Ginger Ale
- 1/2 cup Peach Schnapps
- 1/2 cup Simply Peach
- Cut and pit your fruit, then dice up one of the peaches into small pieces. Cut the other peach into thin slices for garnish, or however you would prefer to cut them.
- Add 3/4 cups of your diced peaches to a medium saucepan and add in your water and sugar. Heat over medium heat until mixture starts to simmer, stirring constantly. Once the sugar is dissolved, let the mixture continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. You should have a slightly pink hue to your liquid. Take off heat, and strain out the liquid into a cup. This is your peach infused simple syrup.
- In a large pitcher, add in the rest of your diced peaches, the peaches from the simple syrup, as much ice as you would like, and both wines. mix to combine.
- Measure out 1/2 a cup of your simple syrup and add to the pitcher. Add in your Amaretto, schnapps, simply peach and Ginger Ale and mix to combine.
- Serve Chilled or drink straight from the pitcher! Add some thinly sliced peaches to a glass before pouring for a delicious looking drink!
- You can substitute store bought simple syrup for the homemade version, but the peach infused syrup just adds another level of flavor you can't get from store-bought syrup!
- Add in as much or as little Ginger Ale as your prefer- the more the bubblier!