8 Ingredients. That’s all this straightforward yet SCRUMPTIOUS recipe takes.
Don’t be deterred by the inherent easiness of this recipe- it may only have 8 ingredients but it packs a TON of delectable, mouthwatering flavor in Every. Single. Bite.
Sometimes, the easy way IS the way to go.
This recipe is perfect for those nights where you don’t want to go all-out on a full blown, 3-course meal, but you’d also rather not feed the kiddos boxed macaroni and hotdogs again. (Hey- DO NOT get us wrong, Spencer and I can get down on some noodles and ‘dogs). Chicken spaghetti is the perfect mix of easy and delicious, and brings the satisfying fill-up that comes with any great “home-cooked” meal.
Spencer made me chicken spaghetti pretty early on in our relationship and it has a special place in my heart- and stomach! It’s cheesy, noodle-y, creamy, velvety-ness hits all the spots and checks all the boxes at the end of an exhausting day: easy, cheesy, pasta (and some veggies! – sort of).
What you will need for this recipe:
- Frozen or Fresh chicken
- Pot-sized spaghetti (You can buy this at the grocery store, or you can simply break your spaghetti noodles in half- this is a recipe saver as the smaller noodles mix better and get completely coated in cheesy goodness!)
- Original Velveeta
- Whole milk
- Shredded Mozzarella
I want to preface this recipe with a word of caution- SALT LIGHTLY. Or at least to your own taste.
Spencer bought an off-brand version of Velveeta once and without a second thought nor tasting of the cheese, we added a good amount of salt to the dish. Turns out the off brand cheese had a TON of sodium and it made that first bite of chicken spaghetti U.N.F.O.R.G.E.T.T.A.B.L.E- I was so eager to eat it that I didn’t even wait for Spencer to help himself to his portion- I popped that fork straight into my mouth and IMMEDIATELY all of the moisture was gone. It. was. SO. SALTY. (I once accidentally swallowed seawater from the Mediterranean Sea, and this was way worse!) I think we both got about 3 or 4 bites deep before we called it quits- I don’t remember what we ended up eating, but boy will I never forget the Salty-Spaghetti Incident of 2017.
- 1 lb (16 oz) Pot-sized Spaghetti
- 1 lb (16 oz) Original Velveeta
- 24 oz chicken Frozen or fresh
- 2 10-oz Cans Rotel
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella + more for topping
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Get your chicken cooking- We used our Instant Pot on the "meat/stew" setting on high for 25 minutes with frozen chicken. A regular skillet pan works great as well.
- Boil a pot of water and cook your spaghetti noodles.
- Cube your Velveeta and combine with the milk in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Stir occasionally until melted and combined.
- Once your chicken is cooked, shred the meat and set aside.
- Once the Velveeta mixture is smooth and creamy, add your 2 cans of Rotel and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cooked spaghetti, Velveeta mixture, chicken, and 1 cup shredded mozzarella. Make sure to coat all the spaghetti-It may seem a little runny, but once you bake it in the oven it gets all bubbly and gooey and super yummy!
- Add to a ceramic or clear baking dish, top with some more mozzarella and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Salt your spaghetti water- make it as salty as the Mediterranean Sea!
- If using fresh chicken, add some chicken stock or water to keep the meat from burning.
- If you can't find Rotel, store-brand "tomatoes and green chiles" will do fine. BEWARE- the green chiles tend to be a little lackluster this way.