If you’re looking for a recipe to help “clear out the cupboards” then you’ve come to the right place!
We created this recipe out of a desperation to use up 2 things: a red onion that was *almost* going bad and about 18 egg yolks (give or take a few) that I had saved from making several failed batches of Macarons. My husband is a huge fan of chips, so we always have several bags on hand. We didn’t want to make any ol’ recipe and since I’m always looking to clear off the top of our fridge from the persistent amount of chip bags…
the Chilaquiles Egg Bites were born!
Chilaquiles is a traditional Mexican breakfast dish that uses corn tortillas that are cut into quarters, fried, then topped with various levels of delicious toppings- eggs included! We used up a few other pantry items that we had, so most of these ingredients can definitely be swapped with those of your own preference! Otherwise, if you follow the recipe below, you’ll be starting the next few mornings with a delicious bite that I’m sure will help kickstart a wonderful day!
What You Will Need:
- Onion (We used Red)
- Spam (Regular Ham or any breakfast meat will do!)
- Tortilla Chips
- For a spicy twist, you could dice up a small jalapeno and add a couple dashes of your favorite hot sauce!
Chilaquiles Egg Bites
- 12 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Large Red Onion Sub any type of Onion
- 1 Regular Can of Spam Sub Any Type of Meat
- Pinch Salt We used Himalayan
- Salsa To top
- Handful Crushed Corn Tortilla Chips To Ttp
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place 12 silicone cupcake sized baking cups on a baking sheet, or grease a regular 12-count muffin baking tin.
- Dice your can of Spam and half a red onion into small cubes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, crack your dozen eggs, add a pinch of salt (only a pinch because the Spam will do the rest of the work!) and whisk until the yolks and the whites are mixed thoroughly. Add in your Spam and onions and mix well.
- Using a measuring cup, pour your mixture into each of the silicone cups filling each one up to the top. The eggs won't rise very much so no need to worry about over-filling!
- Bake for 20 minutes. While baking, take a handful of the corn tortilla chips and crush into small pieces, but don't obliterate them into dust! Remove the egg bites after the 20 minutes are up, and sprinkle the tops of each of the egg bites with the tortilla chip pieces. You can use a spoon to press the chips down slightly, as your eggs should still be slightly runny. Place back in the oven and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before trying to remove from the silicone cups or the muffin tin. Top with fresh salsa, and enjoy!