Mustard. If you’re serving me potato salad, it better have it.
Just kidding! I’m always down for some ‘tater-salad, but I find that if it lacks mustard, it lacks some serious tang that’s needed whenever there is a ton of mayo present. Spencer agrees with me, and this recipe that he developed shows that!
I adore this potato salad. I mean, I really really love it. The textural contrast of the creamy mayo/mustard/hard-boiled egg yolk sauce (YES- there are eggs in this salad and it will change your life… or at least the way you make your potato salad!) paired with the soft bite of the almost-mashed-baby-gold-potatoes and the fresh crunch of the red and green onions makes for an amazing side dish that you’ll want to bring to every backyard BBQ you attend.
Over the years, Spencer has made many a potato salad and little by little he’s tweaked things here and there and finally landed on this absolutely delectable yet still somehow classic potato salad. I think sometimes we, as foodies, can get carried away trying to tweak a recipe to make it “fun” and “exciting” – we end up adding odd ingredients or interesting vegetables we JUST learned the name of because we were watching a cooking show, without thinking of how it really is going to play with our dish. Why mess with a good thing?
That’s why we hope you’ll try this recipe out the next time you’re craving some good old ‘tater-salad. It’s incredibly flavorful and delicious and is just a half-step above your run-of-the-mill potato salad with just the right amount of pizzazz!
What you will need:
- Yellow Mustard
- Green Onions (Scallions)
- Red Onion
- Ground Mustard
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Hard-boiled Eggs (Check out our methods for boiling your eggs- just search our site for “Hard-Boiled Eggs”)
- Yukon Gold or Baby Gold Potatoes
- Horseradish Sauce
Please note- you’ll need to hard-boil 6 eggs, but you will only end up using 4 eggs worth of the whites. You will still use all 6 yolks.
You can absolutely add the extra two whites to the potato salad, we just love the consistency that only 4 adds. We are also lucky enough to have two pups who are all-too-willing to eat any “extras” from the kitchen.
Classic Potato Salad
- 1 cup Mayo
- 1/2 cup Yellow Mustard
- 1/4 cup Green Onion Diced
- 1/2 cup Red Onion Diced
- 1/4 tsp Ground Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 6 Hard-boiled eggs
- Pinch Paprika
- 2 lbs Baby or Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 2 Tbsp Horseradish Sauce
- Hard-Boil your eggs
- Dice your potatoes as large or small as you prefer and start them in cold water with a Tbsp of salt, then bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to low until potatoes are fork tender.
- While your eggs and potatoes are boiling, dice your red and green onions.
- Once your eggs are boiled, peel and then separate your yolks from your whites. Dice up only 4 eggs worth of the whites and set aside, you will not need the remaining two (see above). You will still use all 6 of the yolks.
- Combine all 6 egg yolks with the mayo, mustard, horseradish, ground mustard, garlic powder, and paprika and combine until creamy.
- Add in your onions, eggs, and potatoes and gently mix. Depending on how you like your potatoes, they could be tender enough that they want to fall apart like mashed potatoes so make sure to mix gently.
- Add your paprika, salt and pepper to taste, and let the salad sit in the fridge (covered) until it comes to your desired temperature.