Sticky. Scrumptious. Sinfully Delicious!
I have a confession to make… I don’t really like scotcheroos.
Why on Earth would I be writing this post, you ask? Well, sometimes we gotta make sacrifices. A good recipe is a good recipe no matter the likes and dislikes of any one particular blogger *ahem* me *ahem* And while the combination of butterscotch and chocolate is just too stinkin’ rich for my palate, my husband absolutely LOVES scotcheroos! And I do mean LOVE. His work has something he calls “Scotcheroo-Fridays” and I have seen him deliberately walk out of this house without his lunch knowing he won’t need it because he’s about to consume copious amounts of buttersctoch, chocolate and peanut butter. We even had a scotcheroo display at our dessert table for our wedding this past November! He’s really not a big “sweet” person, as he says, but put a pan of scotcheroos in front of him and try and take one… he’ll make you cry. I’ve seen it happen. I’m not joking…. but I won’t embarrass him by telling you who he made cry, but that’s how serious he is about scotcheroos.
Anywho, this recipe is for him! Or rather, he brought this recipe to me. It comes from his mother and I’m not exactly sure where she got it from but he absolutely adores this recipe, and even I, who dislikes butterscotch, can get behind the yummy combination of flavors and sugars that is this scotcheroo. It’s incredibly chewy, like really-good-rice-krispie chewy EXCEPT…. there are no rice krispies! The key to this recipe, in my not-so-humble opinion, is the use of cornflakes in place of traditional rice cereal. Plus the fact that Spencer refuses to use creamy peanut butter, so crunchy it is!
THEY. ARE. SO. CHEWY.
So good, SO GOOD.
Now what are you waiting for? Get to cookin’!
What You Will Need:
- A cornflake cereal (we used Special K original)
- Crunchy Peanut Butter (Absolutely you HAVE to use crunchy Peanut butter, it gives it that extra crunchy-goodness)
- Corn Syrup
- Granulated Sugar
- Butterscotch Chips
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 6 Cups Corn Flake Cereal
- 1 Cup Crunchy Peanut Butter
- 1 Cup Corn Syrup
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Butterscotch Chips
- 1 Cup Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 pan and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt down the peanut butter, corn syrup and sugar until smooth and liquid-y (it will be on the thicker side of liquid-y). Add in your cornflakes and stir until all the cornflakes are well coated in the mixture.
- Turn out your cornflake mixture onto the prepared pan, and using your hands or a flexible spatula press down as good as you can to get an even layer. If using your hands, be sure to wear some rubber kitchen gloves as the mixture will be hot and that sugar can really burn you! Set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl or glass measuring cup, add your butterscotch and chocolate chips and melt at intervals of 30 seconds in the microwave, stirring in between, until you reach a pour-able consistency. Feel free to add a couple spoonfuls of shortening to help smooth out the chocolate-butterscotch mixture and give it a nice sheen. Pour over the cornflake mixture and spread out to the edges.
- Let cool and harden, cut and enjoy! It will be somewhat difficult to cut, but that means you did it RIGHT!